Friday, August 1, 2008

Our first fishing trip

Taking a break at a rest stop (our first road trip)

Family photo at the stream
Evan, not sure he's ready to be a fisherman

Leah, ready to go fishing

Rachel, me and Sarah (the ladies outfished the men the last morning)

J.B., Uncle Steve, Greg and Jim (sorry men....no such luck)
Aunt Janet, Rachel and Leah and Uncle Steve

Uh, what is that?


Is that a fishy?


This past week, we took our first road trip to Bennett Springs, MO (close to Springfield, MO). We spent the four days with Greg's family. During our 3 hour drive there, the kids did well for the first part and then mommy had to crawl in between the car seats in the back for the last hour to entertain. Greg and I enjoyed the times we had to fish without worrying about the kids (thanks to his family who helped watch the kids at the house). We had a great time relaxing on the deck, playing in the family room and just being with family enjoying the beautiful scenery. Tuesday was quite eventful....I didn't pack enough formula for the kids, so we drove a half hour into town to a grocery store, that ended up being out of the formula we use. After driving to two grocery stores to get formula and a Walgreens to get a fly swatter (which neither grocery store had), Greg tells me as I am getting in the car, that he thinks Evan has pooped. Greg tried to make it back to the house, but after listening to Evan wail (which I would too in that situation), we pulled over on the side of the road and I ended up changing Evan in the car. Later that day, we were wondering why Evan was so fussy. Was it still that he was getting over the ear infection from last week? Was it teething? Well, as I began to rub Orajel on his lower gums, I realized that a sharp pointy tooth was emerging, that he was indeed teething. Poor baby! Talk about a fussy and exhausting night. On Wednesday, Greg showed the kids a fish he caught (they had never seen a fish up close before and we played on the playground with Grandma Sandy, Grandpa Jim, Aunt Sarah and J.B. and little Wrangler.
Our trip home was eventful as well. We almost made it a half hour into the trip and pulled over to get gas and realized Leah pooped and ended up changing her diaper in the car (I don't like some of these gas station changing areas). Hours later and mommy in the back seat entertaining again, we were almost to Six Flags, when I smelled yet, what I thought was another poopy diaper. This time from Evan. Dummy me decides, after I tried to take several whiffs to make sure, that I was going to just stick my pinky in the side of the diaper and see. YEP.........DEFINITELY POOPY! (I KNOW there has to be another mother who has done this before?!) After I screamed outloud of disgust (I still don't know what possessed me to do that) and then wiped my finger till it was raw with baby wipes, we stopped at a McDonald's and I proceeded to take Evan inside to change the diaper. For all of you who have read past blogs, you know Evan doesn't like changing stations other than the one at home. Well, he actually did a better job this time. However, he wanted to be a little wiggle worm and kick his legs about; which caused poop to get on his onesie and legs. So, I had to strip him down to a new clean diaper. I had left the diaper bag outside (only thinking I would need the basic necessities to change the diaper) and took him out of McDonald's only wearing his diaper. I am sure I looked like a hoosier with my kid in just a diaper. Anyway, back on the road again and the rest of the trip went well.
Overall, great trip and Greg and I can't wait to take the kids back when they are older and be able to teach and watch Evan and Leah fish.

2 comments:

Aunt Mandy said...

Love the pictures.
Maybe between the two of them they will make a good fishing team...Leah seems to be ready to suit up and hit the water, and Evan wasn't as disguisted by the fish as Leah was! :)

Scott and Sue Plus Two said...

I hate to admit to you how humorous I find your stories with the poop. I can picture you rubbing your finger raw after your surprise poop popsicle finger!!